Saturday, January 5, 2008

Movie Review: Juno

Since I hadn't been to a movie theater in 5 years (My Big Fat Greek Wedding), I decided to write a review on Juno. Hopefully Emily will write one too. I won't spoil the movie in the review, so don't worry.

The first 10 minutes of the movie made me feel like they were trying to make a female version of Napoleon Dynamite, and they were trying too hard. I'm not saying I didn't laugh, but I knew I couldn't put up with 2 hours of this. Luckily I didn't have to. It got better.

Ellen Page who plays Juno MacGuff does an excellent job demanding you to connect with her character. Michael Cera of Superbad fame, somehow plays the same character in this movie and it doesn't get old. The movie is full of funny one-liners that keep you smiling throughout. It's also full of some serious issues: teen pregnancy, abortion, adoption, and others. As I stood outside the women's restroom waiting for my wife, I realized that the theater had been full of high school aged kids. The thought occurred to me that today's movies about high schoolers are full of dorks and geeks, and the movies are successful.(Napoleon, Superbad,etc)

In the 90's, all the high school movies and tv shows were full of the "cool crowd" (90210, Scream, Varsity Blues, She's All That, Dazed and Confused, etc.) Now its all about the dorks, and that makes them very popular...not the dorks, the movies. On a positive note, atleast todays teens aren't getting bombarded with the Jock/Cheerleader crap all the time.

I give it a must rent or a go see if you can't decide between a chick flick and a man movie.

No comments: